Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Big One, The 50's, and State of the Art



Many a time I've asked the question: Why was the 1950's so different?

Sadly, I confesses I hated the 50's, while growing up in the 60's. Being a rebellious teenager and a second born child, I resented any hand-me-downs. That was my outlook on clothes, commodities, and the previous decade and generation. The newer - the better was my philosophy.It wasn't until the boring 70's, that I appreciated the 50's.

Realizing 1950's manufacturing is state of the art and all this new junk being produced today and everything since then was in decline. I gained respect for anything 50's. But, why was 1950's production superior? Australian electronics engineer, Jay Slider, gave a hint.

Slider was in the army and was in charge of radio equipment. In field conditions and under fire equipment is  
in ultimate hostile operating conditions. Slider noted and adapted what he learned. What doesn't work, you scrap. What does work, you build upon - the exact conditions of  The Big One.

The 1950's were directly and adamantely influenced by the Big One - World War II

World War II was baptism under fire - survival of the fitness. Lives were at stake! All things being even, the force with the superior product came out on top. This winning attitude carried on into the 1950's. Thus, everything was state of the art.


No comments: